The Woodland Passage collection is inspired by my adventures in the forest as a child and embodies the warmth and nostalgia of happy memories. I am inspired by the different layers of the forest and the different personalities and textures between the forest floor, the understory, the canopy, and the emergent layer.
The Breakthrough collection is inspired by the canopy of the forest. After the ascent from the understory, trees enjoy abundant light and nutrients in the canopy layer. No longer struggling for scarce resources, they can be content and comfortable.
It can be easy to forget where we come from, especially if where we left was filled with toil and struggle. In contentment, it’s easy to trap ourselves in a happy bubble and forget about the troubles in the world around us.
But like the trees in the canopy protect precious flora and fauna, we too have a duty to protect those who are still finding their way to where we now happily thrive.
The braids in this design are a reminder to appreciate our roots and interconnectedness to those who have sacrificed before us to pave the way for a better life. The leaf motif symbolizes the abundance in our lives and the hope we can offer by sharing our light through openings in the shadows.
- Yarn Maker: MJ Yarns
- Yarn Base: Tough Ram
- Fiber Content: 80% Superwash Merino / 20% Nylon
- Weight: Fingering (Heavy) / 4-Ply
- Put-Up: 360 yds / 329m in each 3.53oz / 100g skein
- Number of Skeins Required: 1 skein each of background color (BC) and main color (MC)
- Length Required: BC: 134 yds / 123m; MC: 94 yds / 86m
- Colorways: BC: Azurite (Blue); MC: Amber (Gold)
Gauge in 4″ / 10cm
- Colorwork Chart, Washed: 31sts and 36 rounds
- To produce an even colorwork without puckering or holes in the fabric.
- One 16″ / 40cm circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge, or your preferred method for small diameter knitting
- Designer Used: US4 / 3.5mm
- 4 removable stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- One-Size to fit 20-22″ / 51-56cm head circumference with 0-2″ / 0-5cm of negative ease.
- Shown on model with 22″ / 56cm head circumference
- Circumference: 20″ / 51cm
- Height: 9.25″ / 23cm
This hat is worked in the round from the bottom up. Choose one of three cast ons based on your confidence level and then jump into the ribbing section. Work a decorative braid, and then it's onto the colorwork section. There are some long sections of stranding without changing colors and it is recommended to wrap floats every 6-7 stitches. Work crown patterning and gather up remaining stitches to close up the crown.
Click on linked text to visit the tutorial.
Choose one of three cast ons for this pattern.
- Alternate Cable Cast On
- Alternate Long Tail Cast On
- Two Strand Tubular Cast On
Have a question or need support? email amanda